How to Become a Security Guard in Illinois
Illinois is home to Chicago in the northeast with over 2.7 million residents. There are a variety of industries and great agricultural productivity in central and northern Illinois that create a strong need for security guard presence. The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation manage all security guard licensing.
Unarmed Security Guard Requirements in Illinois
Unarmed security guard requirements in Illinois are unique because you must first obtain a PERC Card (Permanent Employee Registration Card) before applying. A PERC guard fulfills many requirements for security guards in Illinois, including:
- proof of age
- your social security number
- your photo ID
- submission to fingerprinting
- appropriate security clearance documents
Once you’ve obtained your PERC Card, you must perform the required 20 hours of security guard training. Fees to become an unarmed security guard total $55.
Armed Security Guard Requirements in Illinois
To become an armed security guard in Illinois, applicants must:
- be 21 years or older
- complete the Illinois state-required unarmed PERC security guard training
- provide employer with a set of passport-style photos
- provide employer a set of fingerprints on a standard FBI fingerprint card
- not have been convicted of a felony, a sexual offense, or any crime that would question the honesty and integrity of the person
- complete state-required training course
The armed security guard license must be renewed every three years. The license shall be renewed upon proof that the employee has been re-qualified on the firing range within one year preceding the renewal date. The employee must also provide proof that they are still employed by the agency where the card was issued. Topics covered in the training course include the use of firearms, liability, use of force, search procedures, and more. The armed security guard fees total $55.
Licensing Body: Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
Law: SECTION 1240.200