How to Become a Security Guard in Louisiana
The Pelican State is home to many major corporations and is quickly becoming a popular destination for tourists, with New Orleans attracting around 10.45 million visitors a year. Louisiana is also home to a variety of historical landmarks, festivals and events, and colleges, making it an ideal location for aspiring security guards.
Unarmed Security Guard Requirements in Louisiana
To become an unarmed security guard in Louisiana, applicants must:
- be at least 18 years old
- be a U.S. citizen
- have not been convicted of any felony or crime involving moral turpitude or illegal use or possession of a dangerous weapon if a full pardon or similar relief has not been granted under laws of the United States, the State of Louisiana, or any other state or country
- submit to a background check
- complete mandatory training requirements
To become an unarmed security guard in Louisiana, one must receive 16 hours of classroom training from a Louisiana state-licensed instructor. The first eight hours of training are due within 30 days from the date of hire. The second eight hours are due 60 days from the date of hire. Training will cover legal powers and limitations, emergency procedures, general duties, field notes, and more. The fees to become an unarmed security guard in Louisiana total $52.50.
Armed Security Guard Requirements in Louisiana
In addition to the unarmed security guard requirements, armed security guard applicants in Louisiana must also:
- be 21 years or older
- provide a set of fingerprints on a standard FBI fingerprint card
- complete state-required armed security guard training
Armed security guard training will cover the following topics:
- legal limitations on use of firearms
- handling a firearm
- fundamentals of shooting
- proper ammunition
- handgun marksmanship
In Louisiana, the armed security guard license must be renewed every year. The fees to become an armed security guard in Louisiana total $52.50.