How to Become a Security Guard in Maryland
People from around the nation visit Maryland for Ocean City’s pristine beaches, the National Aquarium, and historic landmarks such as Fort McHenry. Maryland is one of the smallest U.S. states in terms of area, as well as one of the most densely populated. With around six million residents, there is a strong need for security guards in areas like Baltimore, Silver Spring, Frederick, and Annapolis.
Unarmed Security Guard Requirements in Maryland
Unlike many other states, you must first gain employment with a Maryland-licensed security guard agency to become an unarmed security guard. Below are some basic unarmed security guard requirements in Maryland. Applicants:
- must utilize the state PDF application form
- must be at least 18 years old
- may not have been convicted of a felony, sexual offense, or crime that questions honesty and integrity
- must meet and maintain qualifications set and approved by the Maryland State Police
- must provide employer with a set of passport-style photos
- must provide employer with a set of fingerprints on a standard FBI fingerprint card
There is no required unarmed training for security guards in Maryland; the security guard agency is required to be licensed. The application fee is $15.
Armed Security Guard Requirements in Maryland
To become an armed security guard in Maryland, there are a few extra requirements. Those who wish to qualify as an armed security guard in Maryland must obtain a Maryland Wear and Carry permit, and complete a 16-hour Maryland-approved firearm training course. The fees to become an armed security guard are $75.
Begin your new career today! Be sure to apply to join our team at Security Resources. We are always looking for unarmed and armed security guards in Maryland.
Licensing Body: Maryland State Police
Law: Maryland Professional Code