“How to Become a Security Guard in New Jersey”
New Jersey is one of the most densely populated states in the nation. It offers the best of both worlds – close proximity to Philadelphia and New York City and a quick drive to any of the 130 miles of beaches, making it a popular place for tourists. As a state that values its community and safety, New Jersey is always in need of officers with elite security guard training.
Unarmed Security Guard Requirements in New Jersey
To be considered as a security guard in New Jersey, first complete an application through the Superintendent of the Department of Law and Public Safety. To serve as a security guard in the State of New Jersey, you must:
- be 18 years of age or older
- be a United States citizen or legal alien with a valid social security number
- provide your previous employers for the past five years
- complete a background check and submit to fingerprinting
- have not been convicted for disqualifying crimes or misdemeanors
Once your application has been approved, you must complete the New Jersey security guard training program. This 25-hour course includes topics such as:
- professional, ethical, and legal contact
- proper detention of suspects, limits on restraint, and use of force
- homeland security and counter-terrorism
- first aid, CPR, and AED
After you have completed your course, you are ready to become a licensed security guard in New Jersey. The state’s licensing fee is $75.
Armed Security Guard Requirements in New Jersey
Becoming an armed security guard in New Jersey requires additional steps. You first must apply for a weapon permit at your local New Jersey police department – requirements for each city and county may vary. Then, you need to successfully complete a classroom and firearms safety course, which will cover range training and weapon handling.
Don’t wait to pursue a rewarding career in the state you love – start your application today. Once you’ve completed the security guard requirements in New Jersey and become licensed, Security Resources is always searching for new talent to join our team.